Sunday, November 25, 2012

Budget Cuts Remove Arts Classes From Public Schools

In Public Schools, Arts Classes are the First to Go

I would begin my story about the removal of art classes from public schools by first speaking about the benefits of students having art classes. By allowing students to use their creativity and imagination, they are able to express themselves through a different medium. Art classes allow students to explore their artistic skills and gives them a break from the other intensive classes that they are enrolled in. Also, if a student is particularly talented, art classes give them an outlet to practice their artwork and build a portfolio that will be used for college applications, if art is the major that they would like to pursue. I will use my own views and experiences as an teacher at a private art school to back up points made about the benefits of art classes. For example, during art classes younger children learn and practice how to correctly hold a pencil and write and draw with confidence. Another example of a benefit that I witnessed personally is children being able to take a project and completely make it their own and when they are finished they are proud of what they have accomplished. By taking all of this away from children by removing art classes, schools are depriving students of skills that could potentially have a long term benefit for them. Next, I would discuss my interview with my art professor and her views on the matter as an art teacher and compare my own opinions with hers. I will give specific examples of public schools that are either considering removing art classes from the curriculum, or already have, and discuss how the removal has effected students of that school, as well as the school curriculum as a whole. 

The Benefits of Art Classes in Public Schools 

My Experiences as an Art Teacher

Schools Removing Art Classes

How the Removal is Affecting Students


No comments:

Post a Comment